Where Is Walrus? by Stephen Savage

  •  Hardcover: 32 pages
  • Publisher: Scholastic Press (Feb. 1 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0439700493
  • ISBN-13: 978-0439700498
I admit that, when I first got a copy of this wordless picture book, I  did not expect it to hold my (and my grandsons') interest for long. Very simple, stylistic art, no text. OK, I thought I could make up a story but it would soon get boring.
That was about three years ago. Now, I admire this book more than most picture books. It works on so many levels, for so many ages. And even though the art is very minimalistic, we discover new things all the time.
The story works for a restless 2 year old, who delights in outsmarting the zoo keeper who can't find walrus anywhere. It also works for a story savvy 4 year old, who still discovers new angles.
As the bored walrus sneaks out of the zoo, he blends into city scapes. The zoo keeper follows and looks along streets. But walrus hides in a cafe, or in a building, on a stage with dancers, even disguised as a firefighter.
When walrus finally steals the show in a diving competion, the zoo keeper get the brilliant idea to give him a larger pool and a dive board. No one in the zoo is ever bored again.
My two grandsons both love this book and we get hours of storytelling fun out of it. Hope you do, too.

No comments: