Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse

Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse

When Billie Jo is just fourteen she endures heart-wrenching ordeals that no child should have to face. The quiet strength she displays while dealing with unspeakable loss is as surprising as it is inspiring.

Written in free verse, this Newbery Award winning story is set in the heart of the Great Depression. It chronicles Oklahoma's staggering dust storms, and the environmental as well as emotional turmoil they leave in their path. An unforgettable tribute to hope and inner strength.

I completely fell in love with the language of this book. Not all Newbery books are books that I love, although most of them are. And that medal on the cover always makes me want to read the book, just to see why the judges felt it was worthy. Out of The Dust is powerfully written and deserves this recognition. It made me want to read all the free verse novels I could get my hands on. Love the genre. Karen Hesse says more with fewer words. Read it!

2 comments:

Carol Baldwin said...

truly a classic. She's a great author; I've never read a book of hers that I didn't ad mire.

Anonymous said...

This is one of the saddest books that I have ever read! It was difficult for me to read as an adult and when reading with students I aleays leave lots of time for discussion, both in class and after school.Its not a book that you can put down either; once you start it, you cannot put it down!