Catherine, Called Birdy by Karen Cushman

Catherine, Called Birdy by Karen Cushman

"Corpus Bones! I utterly loathe my life."
Catherine's father is determined to marry her off to a rich man -- any rich man, no matter how awful. Even though she's only a young teenager, because the day and age is the Middle Ages and this is a glimpse of real life back then.
By wit, trickery, and luck, Catherine manages to send several would-be husbands packing. One, by setting the outhouse on fire when he's inside... Then a shaggy-bearded suitor from the north comes to call -- by far the oldest, ugliest, most revolting suitor of them all. Unfortunately, he is also the richest.

Can a sharp-tongued, high-spirited, clever young maiden with a mind of her own actually lose the battle against an ill-mannered, piglike lord and an unimaginative, greedy toad of a father?
Deus! Not if Catherine has anything to say about it!

I picked this book for my 'favorite books ever' list because of the main character's witty voice. I imagine that, if I had lived in the Middle Ages, I would have wanted to be just like spunky Catherine.

Extensive study guide: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cts=1331572559026&ved=0CDwQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cavesbooks.com.tw%2Ffiles%2Fwebpage%2Fsamplepage-pdf%2Fedi0513s.pdf&ei=NS9eT7r0KIGjiAKyxbHECw&usg=AFQjCNEQ4R0z_f8V1hlUX9Yax5FM8xjojg

ISBN 978-0064405843

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a book I have been meaning to read for some time. Thanks for the recommendation

Carol Baldwin said...

I loved this book too. Read it awhile ago and still remember her spunkiness !